Sunday, November 7, 2010

As an American expat in Mexico, how would I use my status to make money?

As an American expat in Mexico, how would I use my status to make money?
Jobs etc. I need a job, I suppose I have a college education eh? Tourism, translation, smuggling jk, jk. I have about a 3rd grade understanding of Spanish.
Other - Mexico - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
could be hard depending on visa status and with only a 3rd grade understanding of spanish...I would suggest going for tourism geared towards visiting Americans...tour guide.
2 :
To WORK in Mexico , you must have an FM3 visa with a work permit. only way to get that is find an employer who will write a letter for you to give to the immigration office stating that he is offering you a job, and that he cannot fill that job with a Mexican national. Then after heaps of paperwork, time, and money , you MAY get a work permit. usually only people highly skilled in jobs needed here can get a work permit. You may start a business here if you can demonstrate that you meet the income requirement to support yourself while getting the business going and you can get the necessary licenses. If you want a job based on your college degree, you must have your original degree, certified copies of all transcripts, certification of the college from the secretary of state of the state where it is located. Your education will be thoroughly investigated and validated. If you want to teach in an English speaking school in a big gringo area, the jobs are highly competetive. Anywhere else you really need a good grasp on Spanish. In other words....It ain't easy! I know people here who have started succesful businesses, but they are fluent in Spanish, had plenty of capitol for start-up expenses, and went through lots of problems getting the business going and keeping it going. Salaries here are a fraction of what they are in the states and Canada. If you consider working in Mexico, you need to be PREPARED.
3 :
oh yeah good luck buddy. The mexicans love guys like you.
4 :
Study more Spanish and remember that some might dislike you since you are "American" or "Gringo" People forget that everyone South of the border is American since we live on the American continent. I used to confuse American citizen with US citizen. I am seriously thinking of returning to where I was born: Tijuana on Sunday, 3 January 1965 at 5:05 PM I am happy in Pacoima though http://www.geocities.com/pacoima_california/index.html
5 :
Be ready and study their culture since they are different.