Friday, March 1, 2013

I want to be a flight attendant in Cancun, Mexico... How can I make this happen?

I want to be a flight attendant in Cancun, Mexico... How can I make this happen?
I want to be a flight attendant in Cancun, Mexico... How can I make this happen? 19 year old female from the United States, I'm currently learning spanish and serving at a restuarant, saving up as much money as possible to make my dream come true!!! I want to move to Cancun on my own, and become a flight attendant there. What do I need to do and how can I make this happen? Should I move there first, then try to get the job when I'm there? Or is there anyway I can get a flight attendant job here in the states, then transfer to Cancun? Any advice would be so wonderful!! I just need to know how to go about this and how to get started on making my dreams really come true!!!! Thanks :)
Air Travel - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unfortunately there are no US airlines that have a hub in Cancun. When you become a flight attendant, you will be assigned to a hub city. You will be assigned flights out of that hub city, but you don’t get to pick your flights or routes until you have seniority which can take at least 5 years, and even then you can’t always pick your flights. You will often go on multi segment trips, spend the night in once city, and leave the next morning on a few more segments before returning to your hub. Many flight attendants are often assigned to a hub away from where they live. For example, one flight attendant I know lives in Indianapolis, and must fly to Atlanta on his own to begin work. As he is traveling for work, he can fly for free to get there and has priority over other standby travelers. The flight attendant who helped me answer this was working out of a hub city near where she lived, however she was then reassigned to another hub and ended up having to move because she could not fly to the new hub in time to be able to work there. Being a flight attendant is not a glamorous lifestyle. You will work 15 hour days, often several days in a row with as little as 6 hours sleep in between in a cheap hotel in a strange city. You don’t get to pick where you are based, and you don’t get to pick your flights. It’s a very rough life. I am sorry if this upsets you, but this is reality. Mexicana does have a Hub in Cancun, and are a Mexican based airline. You can contact them about becoming a flight attendant, however it is unlikely they would hire you unless you are a Mexican citizen. If you work for a US based carrier, perhaps by speaking Spanish you would be more likely to be placed on flights to/from Mexico, however not always Cancun, and not always Mexico, there are many other Spanish speaking countries. Continental has the most flights to/from Latin America of any US based carrier. However they are going through a merger, so it is not likely they will be hiring any time soon. You may still wish to contact them and ask them about the possibility of working for them. The next time you fly, ask your flight attendant to tell you about her/his job and what they like and don’t like. I know several flight attendants, and had one of them help me answer this (We hang out when I am not flying too). However asking more can always provide new perspectives. Good luck!